Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Green Lake United Methodist Church


4/10/13 Platinum Sepia ink, watercolor, Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook
Ever since last December when I went to hear a holiday concert there by the City Cantabile Choir, I’ve been meaning to go back to Green Lake United Methodist Church on a rainless day to sketch it. More than a hundred years old, it’s an amazing stone building that resembles a castle. Even the top of the tower has what looks like a battlement.
 
Although it had been pouring all morning, the sun came out for my noon walk around Green Lake. By the time I finished lunch, it looked like it was going to stay out for a while, so I headed out for the church. By the time I got there 10 minutes later, it was starting to sprinkle. I spotted a convenient overhang around the school directly across the street from the church, so I ducked under it. It took me a little more than an hour to finish the sketch, and during that short time, I saw a downpour of rain, hail, a little sunshine and more rain. But thanks to that overhang, my sketch and I stayed dry.

2 comments:

  1. Nice sketch of a very interesting building. That's a lot of weather. I just had sun all afternoon downtown then as I traveled south to home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The building does look a bit like a castle. Nice sketch...glad you found a dry spot to sketch.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...