Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mill City


8/17/13 Platinum Carbon ink, Zig marker, 100 lb. paper
A highlight of my few days in the Twin Cities was joining the Twin Cities Urban Sketchers for a sketchout last Saturday morning. A few weeks ago, I posted a note on their Facebook page to see if any sketch opportunities were coming up on the days I was to be in town, and Amber suggested an outing at the Mill City Farmers Market. Amber, Daniel, Jodi and Patty welcomed me warmly, and Daniel turned out to be a familiar face – we had been in a workshop together in Barcelona! Amber, too, had been at the Barcelona symposium, but our paths didn’t cross until we gathered on the steps of the Guthrie Theater, right across the street from the market.

Usually at farmers markets, I like to sketch street musicians, face painters or other people working at the market. But since I was in the heart of Minneapolis, I used the vantage point of the Guthrie steps to sketch two bridges crossing over the Mississippi River and some of the skyline, including the iconic Pillsbury’s sign.
8/17/13 Platinum Carbon and Diamine Grey inks, watercolor, 140 lb. paper



In keeping with the milling heritage of the area, I turned 90 degrees, looked straight up, and sketched the Gold Medal Flour sign, another icon, still atop the former flour mill building that now houses the Mill City Museum.

My thanks to Amber, Daniel, Jodi and Patty for a memorable sketchout! It’s terrific to be part of the huge network of Urban Sketchers.
Left to right: Daniel, Patty, Tina, Jodi and Amber

2 comments:

  1. Blogger had a hiccup as I tried to comment on Sunday night but it wouldn't let me. We missed you at our Seattle sketch outing and now I see where you are! Great sketching. It's so good to be able to connect with others in our community of artists.
    --Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that big Gold Medal Flour sign...reminds me of the Hollywood Sign. Nicely done. The blue sky really made it stand out. Good job on the river sketch. It is always fun to sketch in a new place and great that you had some locals to go out with.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...