Thursday, October 10, 2013

Color, One Way or Another

10/10/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor,
Strathmore 400 140 lb. paper
Although I usually go there to sketch animals, Woodland Park Zoo is a park as well as a zoo, so today I went there to see how much color was in the trees. Unfortunately, it was colder than I thought it would be, so I retreated to my favorite zoo shelter: Willawong Station.

Since I’m still testing out watercolor papers and wanted to use paints, I picked the brightest bird in the bunch to sketch: an Eastern Rosella. I’ve sketched this fellow and his brethren several times, but today he was a particularly cooperative model, so I captured him in several views.


On my way home from the zoo, I spotted a tree to add to my collection, so I got a salted caramel mocha to keep me warm and sat at an outdoor table at the Phinney Ridge Starbucks to sketch it. (With a fully overcast sky, it was harder than ever to show its volume.) I finished just in time: Walking back to my car, it started to rain.

10/10/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor,
Strathmore 400 140 lb. paper
10/10/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Zig marker,
water-soluble pencil, Strathmore 400 140 lb. paper

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love the colors in your birds!!! Nice form on them...you can see the fullness of their little bodies. I've been saying for a while that I have to get to a zoo to sketch. I like that massive tree in front of Starbucks! You had a full day of sketchings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great bird drawings, I like how you let the red run into the yellow, wet on wet!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...