Monday, December 9, 2013

Another Sketchbook Project Done

11/15/13 Private Reserve Velvet Black ink
Today I filled the last page in my 2014 Sketchbook Project sketchbook, which I began on Oct. 17, and I’m happy – more like relieved – to be done. Last year the project was a fun novelty; this year I was mostly annoyed by the thin, slick paper that can’t take even the slightest wash (which I gave every page anyway, causing a lot of buckling and wrinkling). The main reason I participated again is that in 2014 the Sketchbook Project mobile library will be coming to the Pacific Northwest, including Seattle, and it will be fun to finally see the exhibit here. But it’s probably going to be the last time I participate.

One thing I’m pleased about is that the entire book – containing mostly sketches of people in the indoor urban landscape – is what I would call “typical” of my sketching habit, especially in the winter months. As was true last year, I didn’t want the drawings in the Sketchbook Project sketchbook to be somehow “special”; I didn’t want to try to make them somehow “better” (as if I consciously could), because I knew that would make me freeze up. I just wanted the sketchbook to be a typical sampling of what I do every day in my ordinary sketchbook, and it turned out to be exactly that (except for the crappy paper, of course). I think the theme will be “Strange Neighbors.”

11/19/13 Private Reserve Velvet Black ink
Most of the sketches have already appeared on my blog on the dates that I drew them, and all the sketches I made in November are already in my Flickr photostream because I put them into the NaNoDrawMo group. But if youd like to see all the pages as a group, Ive put them into this Sketchbook Project 2014 Flickr set.

5 comments:

  1. Just looked at the entire set of these sketches, Tina. Very impressive. The paper, however, sounds very frustrating and I don't blame you for not wanting to repeat the project again.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing!!! I would love to get my hands on your book and see all the sketches at once. I keep saying I am going to get over to Brooklyn to view the books each year...but it hasn't happened. I didn't do the project this year. I can't work on that paper and it was just too much trouble to replace it. But It is fun when you get a message from them saying that your sketchbook has been viewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! Yes, it is fun to get a message saying that someone has checked out my book, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the exhibit when it comes to town! Hope you can get out to Brooklyn sometime!

      Delete
  3. Good job. I'll look forward to trying to find it in the collection next year! But I didn't participate, for the same reason that the paper is really bad. I did one last year as a photo book, just pasting in a collection of photos on a theme. It was viewed a few times.
    --Kate

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...