Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Exposed

11/19/14 Diamine Sargasso Sea ink, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
You know I’m not the kind of sketcher who shies away from ugly or unpleasant subject matter. It’s not that I seek out things like cell towers or dead bunnies, but sometimes the unappealing still has a story to tell.

At the Wedgwood Starbucks this afternoon, I was enjoying sketching a young man’s hand, which he repeatedly put back in the same place against his face after taking sips of coffee. His overgrown hair was a good shading opportunity, as was his T-shirt. Overall, he was an ideal model – seated in good light, close enough that I could see him well yet unaware of me sketching him, and staying stock-still most of the time.

I was fully into the sketch when I saw that a good two or three inches of his butt crack were exposed above his jeans. Repulsed and yet somehow compelled, I couldn’t resist. What I was really tempted to do was take a picture with my phone and show it to him as I walked by to leave. Instead, I’m just posting this sketch of him on my blog.

On the upside, I’d forgotten how much I like using icy Diamine Sargasso Sea ink, especially during the cold months. 

2 comments:

  1. LOL Couldn't he feel the draft? Nice sketch, and in true urban sketchers style you sketched it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on the sketch, especially the butt crack!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...