Monday, February 2, 2015

Six More Weeks

2/2/15 Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils, Stillman & Birn
Gamma sketchbook
The Washington Post reports that Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow today, so you know what that means. (Sketched from a Washington Post photo.)

Technical note: Lately I’ve been making a lot of pen-and-ink sketches from photos of animals on last year’s calendar. (I haven’t posted many yet, but you’ll see more as I review pens as part of my Epic Search and Discovery series.) I was going to sketch Phil that way, but as I looked at his fur, I remembered how much I enjoyed sketching fur with colored pencils last October at the Olympic National Park, so I got out my Caran d’Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils instead. A mix of black and brown pencils imparted a soft, furry look, and then I used a waterbrush to bring out some shading.

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job on his fur with the water-soluble pencils. Here they said he saw his shadow and there will be 6 more weeks of winter...I just hope there isn't 6 more weeks of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, softer than ink alone, I think. Nice job! I don't like the forecast though. I want Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...