Sunday, December 27, 2015

Stopping in Time

12/26/15 brush pen, colored pencils

Running a series of errands yesterday, we stopped first at the hardware store, where I opted to stay in the car for a sketch. Roosevelt Way Northeast is lined with gnarly, knotty old trees – all of them split open on top to make room for wires.

12/27/15 Infinite Painter
I was just thinking about putting in a vague suggestion of the buildings and other background when Greg finished his shopping. I’m glad I didn’t have more time – I think the sketch turned out better because I stopped when I did.

That is one major drawback of digital sketching. With that blessed undo key and dozens of tools to try, I can fiddle and refiddle with any sketch way beyond where it should have ended. An overworked watercolor sketch is usually bad news, but an overworked digital sketch is no better. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you left the sketch of the trees as is. It really empathizes the shape and solid look of the tree trunks. This is one of my recent favorites!! I have to laugh about the overworked digital sketch idea. You are right. That delete option makes me constantly think I can improve on what is there already. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! I'm not sure where I'm going with digital sketching (maybe nowhere!), but it's fun to experiment. And I think it teaches me different things. I guess I'll find out!

      - Tina

      Delete
  2. That is why I never want to try digital sketching. The marks I put down on the paper is the marks that will remain there, bad or good,they are the sketch!
    But your tree sketch is really good, if I not read this blogg I had never guessed it was digital :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tipulida! The tree sketch was NOT digital -- it was made the old-fashioned way! ;-)

      - Tina

      Delete
  3. That is why I never want to try digital sketching. The marks I put down on the paper is the marks that will remain there, bad or good,they are the sketch!
    But your tree sketch is really good, if I not read this blogg I had never guessed it was digital :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...