Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Chicago Symposium, Part 2: Art & Artifacts

7/28/17 Sue, the T-Rex, at the Field Museum

From what I knew of Chicago (I had visited a couple of decades ago and studied Internet photos the past year in preparation for the symposium), I figured architecture would be the dominant subject matter of my sketches, and yesterday’s post certainly indicates that. What I didn’t expect was the amazing richness in public art seen on Chicago streets and in parks. I sketched so much of it, in fact, that it warranted its own blog post here. 

Although I didn’t get around to the Art Institute, which I regret (there’s never enough time for everything I want to do), I did make a trip to the Field Museum of natural history, where I knew Lapin was teaching his workshop. Although I didn’t eavesdrop on his instructions (I didn’t want to look like I was trying to sneak into his workshop!), I voyeuristically included him and a few of his students in my sketch of Sue, the largest and most complete T-Rex skeleton in the world.

7/26/17 Anish Kapoor's Cloud Gate (affectionately known as "the Bean") at Millenium Park

7/26/17 One of a pair of lions guarding the entrance of the Art Institute.

7/27/17 Calder's Flamingo

7/27/17 Crown Fountain at Millenium Park

Seward Johnson's sculpture "Return Visit" in Pioneer Center

Calder's "Flying Dragon" outside the Art Institute
7/29/17 General Logan's memorial at Grant's Park

7/27/17 "The Bowman" on Congress Parkway
7/28/17 Pterandodon longiceps model at the Field Museum

Calder's Flamingo
Mandatory selfie at the Bean!

Selfie with Sue
Sketching the skyline reflected in the Bean

5 comments:

  1. Great sketches of the local art. Sometimes people posted sketches or photos and I thought to myself, "Where was that?" lol There was a lot to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a lot of art! Great sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joan and Kate! Yeah, there was so much art everywhere I looked, and I never even made it to the museum!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the art! But being born in Chicago, I was disappointed to find only one sketch of the Picasso among all of the sketchers who I followed. I wonder why...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I regret missing the Picasso! Maybe it slipped by many of us because it wasn't on the sketchwalk tours or near anyone's workshop. Even without a workshop pass, I found it difficult to get around to sights unless they were on one of the sketchwalks.

      - Tina

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...